Mercure Insurance was founded in 1890 by Captain Hubert Mercure, a retired lake captain. He saw the need for some form of protection when the general store he owned and all the adjoining buildings were destroyed by fire earlier that year. With this in mind, the captain established the Mercure Agency and operated a coal business in conjunction with it. It was located on the Northeast corner of Fort Rd and Huron River Drive (formerly Fogg’s Market and Crispin’s Service Station). After Captain Mercure’s death in 1926, it was continued by his oldest son, Daniel H. Mercure.
At that time, Dan operated his own business, one of the first automobile dealerships in southern Michigan. He sold Fords and then transferred to Willys-Overland. Many of the local residents’ first car was an Overland purchased from Dan – and insured by him. The Agency continued to grow under his supervision until his untimely death in 1935.
It was then taken over by one of his sons, Deland G. Mercure. He worked at the Newport State Bank and operated the insurance agency out of his home. In 1941, he started working full time in the insurance business and moved into a small office on Fort Street at the present site of the Foodtown parking lot. Later, the business was moved North on Fort Street to the general location of the First Step Children’s Center and again in 1959 further North on Fort Street. Deland died in 1970, less than a year after moving his prospering business to a new office building he had just constructed on the adjacent property.
The agency is now owned and operated by his oldest son, Daniel H. Mercure along with his son, Daniel M. Mercure, who represents the 5th generation to carry on the family business.
The current office is located at 22200 Huron River Drive in Rockwood (the building originally was the Rockwood Drug Store).
If you have a loss that requires the fire department you may see us arrive in one of our loss prevention vehicles. Dan Jr. is chief of the Rockwood Fire Department.